John A. Gupton College has a distinguished history.
Founded in 1946 by John A. Gupton and Bernadean Gupton, the co-educational, nonsegregated
proprietary school in Nashville, Tennessee, began offering a program of study leading to a diploma
in the field of Mortuary Science. John A. Gupton College was incorporated as a nonprofit
organization in 1965. Originally located at 2507 West End Avenue, the college is now housed in a
new, modern, fully equipped facility located at 1616 Church Street.
In keeping with the philosophy of educating the total person, John A. Gupton College has been accredited by both the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges since 1971 and the American Board of Funeral Service Education since 1946. The College offers an accredited Associate of Arts Degree in Funeral Service, an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Funeral Service, and a non-accredited Funeral Directors Certificate program. The Certificate program meets the State of Tennessee educational requirements for a funeral director.
Gupton College was the first independent institution of Funeral Service Education to earn
regional accreditation and thus be able to offer a course of study leading to the Associate
of Arts Degree. The College’s pursuit of regional accreditation indicates its role as a pioneer
in the educational community which it serves.
The curriculum is designed on the collegiate level, with the dual purpose of fulfilling the needs
both of students who wish to eventually pursue other degrees and of those going directly into
Funeral Service. Since 1968, Gupton graduates have been transferring to senior colleges and
pursuing advanced degrees. To both groups, Gupton offers the opportunity for a liberal arts
education, and the continuing commitment toward educating professionals who are capable of
the change inherent in growth.
Located in the heart of Nashville’s academic community, John A. Gupton College reflects a rich
heritage of academic excellence and provides a facility that is comfortably conducive to effective
learning. The new facility houses administrative offices, a library, classrooms, a science laboratory,
marketing center, restorative art laboratory, preparation area, and a fully equipped student lounge.